From Cattle to Crops: A Farmers Guide to Insurance

From Cattle to Crops: A Farmers Guide to Insurance

Farming, whether grain, dairy or cattle, are businesses with their special set of operational, financial and legal risks that need to be managed.

Managing internal and external variables such as the weather, animals, production, manpower, loss/damage, and finances requires constant attention.

Having the right farm insurance that suits you will help you manage the financial risks, giving you peace of mind and security.

Like any business issue, incorrect insurance sums insured or lack of the correct cover can be found in farming. It’s estimated that a large percentage of businesses are underinsured or lack the correct insurance cover.

Having the right advice will enable you to make informed choices about the risks you want to retain or insure.

From Cattle to Crops: A Farmers Guide to Insurance
Key Farming Risks

Whether you’re a hobby or commercial farming operation, we understand that farming comes with its own set of risks that have to be managed and that are different from other businesses.

Specialised Farm Insurance is a key tool in managing the financial risks relating to:

  • Crops
  • Livestock
  • Property
  • People
  • Public and products liability
Farm Insurance Package

Farm insurance has been specially developed for farming risks. It is a combined package of eight different types of insurance that you can pick and choose to fit your own farm needs. As it is a package policy, it reduces administration by having one policy to deal with and understand, and it also provides a package discount.

In addition to the package policy, separate insurance policies are available for specialty lines such as crop, valuable stock, trade creditors, and aviation risks that are sold separately to the farm package.

Below is a summary of each of the sections in the package.

Home dwelling and contents insurance

This will cover your home, building and contents for various events, including accidental damage, fire, lightning, storm, or burglary.

Farm property insurance

This section covers accidental loss or damage to buildings, fencing, fixed plant and equipment, tanks, silos, and stockyards and any hay or grain in storage.

It also covers farming machinery such as tractors, sprayers and related trailers and implements.

Farm machinery insurance

The insurance will cover refrigeration units, machinery, wind turbines, motors and pumps if they break down. It will cover the cost of repairs or replacing the machine or engine if not repairable. In addition, the cover can be extended to loss of stock due to the breakdown.

From Cattle to Crops: A Farmers Guide to Insurance


Motor vehicle insurance

This section covers utes, ATV's/quad bikes, motorbikes, sedans, harvesters and tractors for either comprehensive or third-party property insurance.

Theft of farm property insurance

This insurance covers loss or damage related to the theft of farm property, including contents, plant and equipment, and machinery such as tractors, sprayers and related trailers and implements.

Livestock insurance

This insurance generally covers stock such as sheep or cattle up to an agreed sum insured for specified perils of fire, storm and lightning causing injury or death of livestock. Specialist insurance coverage can be purchased separately to cover high-value stock.

Local transit insurance

This covers loss or damage to farm goods and livestock when being moved short distances in trucks and vehicles.

Public and product liability insurance

This section covers your legal liability to others for personal injury and property damage, plus legal defence costs. It also covers your legal liability to neighbours and others that may arise from your farming activities, such as the escape of fire or collapse of a farm dam, with water damaging the neighbour’s property. Finally, if you grow and sell produce or livestock, this policy will cover your product liability.

From Cattle to Crops: A Farmers Guide to Insurance


Why Choose Farm Insurance?

This is a package of insurance policies specifically designed for farming risks. It is easy to tailor to your own needs, and you can choose from any of the eight sections. You also benefit from reduced admin in only dealing with one insurance policy and getting a package discount.

For advice and assistance, contact your local Insurance Advisernet adviser today. We are specialists in all types of farming and insurance.


Important Information

This communication including any weblinks or attachments is for information purposes only. It is not a recommendation or opinion, your personal or individual objectives, financial situation or needs have not been taken into account. This communication is not intended to constitute personal advice.

We strongly recommend that you consider the suitability of this information, in respect of your own personal objectives, financial situation and needs before acting on it. This document is also not a Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) or a policy wording, nor is it a summary of a particular product’s features or terms of any insurance product. If you are interested in discussing this information or acquiring an insurance product, you should contact your insurance adviser to obtain and carefully consider any relevant PDS or policy wording before deciding whether to purchase any insurance product.

Liability Insurance

Liability Insurance

Despite the very best of intentions, accidents can still happen in any business. Public and Product Liability Insurance  protects you against claims for personal injury or damage to a third party.

Motor Insurance / Commercial / Heavy Motor Insurance

Motor Insurance / Commercial / Heavy Motor Insurance

Policy provides coverage for physical loss, damage or theft to your vehicle. It can be extended to cover Loss Damage or injury to a third party.

Find your local Insurance Adviser

Talk to your local Adviser to get advice about your insurance needs and to get a quote